In recent past, I tried to move from micro management to try and bring in more empowerment to my team. When I was explaining how to approach a customer requirement and frequently I have to explain that the fit and finish is lot left to be desired during my review, I wanted a "word" that I can always ask and establish the context for discussion easily.
After much long speech explaining what I need multiple times and thinking over it for couple of weeks, I got the "eureka!!" moment. The term is "Sensitivity and reduction of Cognitive Load". This post is about first - Sensitivity.
Isn't the most important thing any human being in personal or professional life requires is "Sensitivity".
1. Think the pains of sales to get the business you have in your hand.
2. Think the pains of a manager in taking down notes of issues that you left open for them to find.
3. Think the pity of your users using your work, in going to live with the pain as it is mandated by the company.
4. Think about the appraisal your client is going to get for being responsible in giving the business to you.
5. Think about the constraints in real world the manager is going to face in making decisions of either schedule or quality.
6. Think about the shareholders investment (if you are one) in your company. Does not the company ability to keep its promise depends on the revenue you earn with your rendered services .
7. Think of your team member who is going to take over from you and work in lesser time that assigned to you and does not have the luxury of the same background that you work.
8. Think the marketing guy who is going to write about your work and try earn some brownie points over competitors hoping to make some big orders.
9. Think about the sales guy missing their commission and hence breaking a promise to their loved ones.
10. Think while making edits to a document or file of another author in having to review your work entirely to know what has changed ? Would you not make sense by providing a mechanism to highlight changes to make lives easier?
Would not these thoughts bring to you the desired qualities that any company expect in you ?
Having thought at above topics, what is your action ?