Award Winning Speech

Award Winning Speech

Sunday, December 17, 2017

Distractions and the pitfall of the "best"

I have seen distractions play a havoc in my blogging life.

First are the choices in platforms: Blogger, wordpress, typepad which are mainstream blogging tools and then catch up of Facebook, LinkedIn that gives you an audience ecosystem, new age publishing systems like Medium, smaller sites like squarespace and the ever ego to have a branded full fledged paid hosting site of your own.

I don't argue the merits or otherwise for each of them here. When I started looking around, I was consumed to look for the best because I felt my thoughts deserve them.  In this search for the best, stopped doing what I was trying to improve.

What I learnt from all of search is gold.

1. There is merit in the saying "Don't fix what is not broken yet". This suggests that we don't abandon what we do and jump and hop without  a destination in what is "new". 

2. Get comfortable with anything new before making the switch. In hind sight, I could have continued sharing in this platform, while "following" other channels and getting comfortable with the idea to switch. 

3. Change Management matters: I was introduced to this concept in my profession and yes, it applies every where. If I had the desire to switch, the process of change management could have eased me out of the pain. 

4. When in distress, seek to talk: The unfortunate event that happened around this time was that my already small blogger friends circle  pushed themselves away from this endeavor. May be, we all could have benefited from the withdrawal symptoms and reassured each other to refresh and re-look.

5. The calling of "Why" needs to be answered as a mantra: I started blogging by accident and it became my obsessions and then my love. At some time, probably, I couldnt answer  "why" am I spending time here. And should I continue just because I love and dont see value ? The nag eventually gets shriller and gets a shell we live comfortably. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Top Agile Blogs

License

Creative Commons License
Learning Practice by Shrinivasan.G is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 India License All views expressed here are my own and does not reflect that of my employer or clients or any other sources.
.